Monday, June 5, 2017

Excerpt from The Deadly Gamble




"Tara’s hopeful look turned to one of bitterness.  She scoffed and briefly looked at the sky before answering the questions.

“My aunt was a slutty, gold-digging, whore.  She never gave a damn about my Uncle, and she certainly didn't love him.”  Steele waited for an answer to his first question.  When it became obvious that Tara wasn't about to give one without some prodding Steele looked at Tara and waited patiently until she reluctantly continued. 

“Come on Steele; you owe me.  I saved your life in the Bahamas” Steele waved his hand.  “Whoa, I've already decided to take the case, but I need you to be straight with me baby girl.  I need to know what the hell I'm getting myself into.”


Tara explained how two years ago her Uncle Kevin caught his wife in bed with another man.  He shot the man, but he survived.  The incident was covered up.  "It’s a small township; my uncle donates heavily to a lot of local organizations including the homeless shelter and the Police and Firefighters Fund.  It took a little persuading and a lot of cash for my aunt’s lover not to press charges.  The revised story was that he was a house guest that wandered into the dimly lit bedroom and that Uncle Kevin though he was a bugler.   After the shooting, he vowed to kill her if he ever caught her with another man."

No comments:

Post a Comment